take this, sister,

may it serve you well

you become a saint

jump.

Monday, May 15, 2006

The familiarity overwhelms me.

An entire Sunday afternoon was spent in front of Ah-Siao's laptop appreciating various pieces of art.

When the original plan was for her to check out some hutong, and for me to prep myself to be the best HR manager. She woke up late, I got really bored, hence an afternoon kinda wasted cooping ourselves up in 3-412.

But!! There's always good stuff to be discovered among a pile of bad stuff.

And so I've discovered an artist to claim as my favourite. =D

Here's Salvador Dali for you.



Portrait of Gala with Two Lamb Chops Balanced on Her Shoulder, 1933

Isn't this funny? How this sophisticated-looking lady's head has a pleasant smile on her face, even with this disgusting-looking rotten piece of lamb chop on her shoulder. Nice pearl necklace there. As you can see, his mind is kinda thwarted to be able to imagine such scenes.

Eggs on the Plate Without the Plate, 1932

Do you see a plate? I do see a plate too. Probably he was referring to the egg hanging on the string as the egg without the plate. I like my eggs without the yoke.

And I thought Lem would love this guy, all that weird stuff in his paintings, but it seems she's not that interested. That's weird i would say.


Swans Reflecting Elephants, 1937

Note the weird looking clouds, and how the tree trunks are reflected as the elephants' legs. Ain't he 精明?Really like the colours used here too. Kinda calming. Some sorta optical illusion. Ah-Siao said I should just go find more optical illusion pictures instead.

Baby Map of the World, 1939

And this is especially for Auntie Lai. Here's something I'm sure you'd like! Michelin baby without body. But I wonder what the little black stick figure running away represents. And the baby actually does look a little diseased.

And if you're as elated as me about this guy's works, here's a website with a cool layout(there's ants scurrying across the website every few seconds!) to check out his works.

http://www.virtualdali.com/

Enjoy! ;)

still waiting at 4:10 pm

1comments

1 Comments

at 11:11 am, May 31, 2006 Blogger ARBilly said...

that's my favourite painter/sculptor. there's some traces of him in sg, at UOB plaza, and the opera gallery ngee ann city.

 

Post a Comment